Both of the Maruti Wagon R and Hyundai Santro Xing are among the best selling cars in the Indian market and have their own pros and cons. However, the Wagon R model has recently been through a major up-gradation and thus carries a comparatively more refreshed design and style. But again, due to this up-gradation, the price of the Wagon R has been increased considerably and thus its quite higher than the price of the Santro Xing. Below is a brief comparison between these two cars on a series of aspects including specifications, features, looks, cost, mileage, performance and maintenance. We hope the comparison will help you in selecting the car that suits your needs and preferences the most.
1. Specifications: – The Maruti Wagon R model is available in three fuel type versions including Petrol, LPG/Petrol and CNG. The petrol and CNG variants of this car come equipped with a 1.0L K-series engine that is capable of producing a maximum power of 68 PS at 6200 rpm along with a peak torque of 90 Nm at 3200 rpm (for CNG version its 59.3 PS at 6200 rpm along with a top torque of 77 Nm at 3500 rpm). On the other hand, the Duo version that can run on both petrol and LPG carries a 1.1L, 57.5bhp, 4 cylinder, In-line, FC engine. On the other hand, the Hyundai Santro Xing model is sports a 1.1L e-RLX engine that can produce a maximum power of 63 @ 5,500 (PS@rpm) at 9.8 @ 3,000 (kgm@rpm). Thus, the segment of specification is totally goes to wagon R.
2. Features:- Same as the specifications, the feature section also goes to Wagon R which carries a range of new generation features that are absent in the Santro Xing that comprises of Fabric Upholstery, Audio System, Fog lamps, Rear Power Windows, ABS, Keyless-entry and even airbags (optional).
3.Looks: – As we have mentioned above, the Maruti Wagon R carries a much more stylish and sporty look as compare to the Santro. What gives the Wagon R an upper hand over Santro Xing, addition of an array of new generation features at its exteriors including, chrome finish garnish at back door, body colored OVRM’s, bumpers and door-handles, stunning roof rails in silver shade and crystal effect tail lights.
4. Mileage: – The petrol version of the Maruti Wagon R offers a fuel economy in the range of 14 to 18 km/l, which is almost similar to the mileage of Santro Xing Petrol of 14.5 to 18 km/l. The same goes true with the LPG versions of these cars.
5. Cost: – It is the only factor in which Santro Xing has an upper hand over Wagon R. Where the Wagon R is available in the price range of Rs 3,28,930 to Rs 4,16,695, the Santro Xing is quite cheaper at Rs 2,75,686 to Rs 3,92,538. With this, the Santro Xing model is also available with a Non AC version that gives a good option to the buyers who are looking to buy a car under Rs 3 Lacs.
6. Comfort & Convenience: – The lack of convenience features is clearly visible in the Santro Xing and thus if convenience in the car is among your first preferences the Maruti Wagon R is the car you should go for. On the other hand, if hassle free, comfortable and spacious hatchback, than Santro Xing is a better option.
7. Overall Performance: – AS Wagon R carries a much better power, acceleration and pick-up, its performance falls comparatively better than that of the Santro Xing. Where the Santro Xing can touch a top speed mark of 141 km/h, the Wagon R is much faster at 148 km/h. However, from the point of view of overall handling and drivability, the Santro Xing is much user friendly than Wagon R.
The bottom line is, if you want your prospective car a specious, hassle-free and less tacky than Santro Xing is the car you should go for. On the other hand, if you can starch your budget a bit, Maruti Wagon R is a far better vehicle than the Santro Xing, be it comfort and convenience or be it power and performance.
- Hyundai Santro Xing v/s Maruti Wagon R v/s Maruti Zen Estilo – The battle of two-boxes (Expert Review)
- Compare Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 and Hyundai Santro Xing (Expert Review)
- Hyundai Santro Xing – The Family Car (Expert Review)
- Hyundai Offering Rebates on Santro Xing, i10, i20 and Accent
- Hyundai Eon v/s Maruti Wagon R – A battle of value for money Indian roadsters (Expert Review)