These days the trend of luxury cars is increasing in India. People are more concerned nowadays about the comforts and features in their luxury roadsters. Apart from features like ABS, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Climate Control, Height adjustable seats, the feature of sun-roof is the most demanding one these days. People purchase cars with sun-roof but lack of proper maintenance makes the sun-roof ugly or hampers it sliding. Here are some easy steps that you can follow to maintain your car’s sun-roof at your home:-
1) First of all, you would require a glass cleaner which does not contain vinegar or ammonia as these ingredients streak the glass. This cleaner will enhance the shine of the sun-roof glass.
2) Then you need to wipe the rubber gasket that seals the car sun-roof with a detergent. Ensure that you clean the entire gasket between ridges or folds with the detergent.
3) After the detergent cleaning procedure is over, rinse the entire gasket with a lint free cloth soaked in normal water. Remember, usage of warm water for rinsing the gasket might damage the rubber of the gasket. Ensure that you remove the gasket thoroughly, because any detergent remained might either cause a direct damage to the gasket or might attract dirt particles that might cause leakages in the sun-roof gasket directly.
4) After the detergent is completely rinsed from the gasket, lubricate the gasket using a silicon based lubricant. Silicon based lubricant is suggested as the petrol based lubricants react poorly on the rubber gasket and might make it stuck to the sun-roof. This might lead to the tearing of gasket while we open the sun-roof next time.
5) The next step is to remove the wax buildup remains on the sides of sun-roof metal frame. This has to be done with a soft brush and detergent, ensuring that it does not leave any scratches on the metal frames. This is done to avoid the rusting of paint and keep the metal frame shining.
6) Cross check if all the hardware of your manually operated sun-roof are properly mounted. If any of the screws on the hinges are loose, tight them using screw-driver and also check if there are any damages on the hinges or clips. If you find any of the hinges or clips rusted or damaged, replace them.
7) In case of electric operated sun-roof, you will have to clean the tracks of the power operated sun-roof. If there are debris on the tracks, remove them and lubricate the tracks using the silicon lubricant. While cleaning the tracks ensure that the dirt doesn’t collect on the tiny vacuums or holes around the track.
8 ) After the upper portion of the electric sun-roof is done with lubrication, lubricate the inner portion of the sun-roof to maintain proper sliding of the sun-roof. You can also use lithium grease to lubricate the inner lip of slide rails.