After the era of notchy manual transmissions, car enthusiasts now look for the easy automatic transmission cars. Although collection of automatic transmission cars is very less in India, but most the car owners drop the automatic transmission variant purchase due to its complicated & costly maintenance procedure. No doubt, there are automatic transmission maintenance instructions given in the service manual or the owners’ manual, but we sometimes neglect them. In India small cars like Hyundai i10 and A –star are blessed with the automatic transmission variants, while there are ample of choices for the AT versions in the compact sedan and sedan segment. Here are few guidelines that would help you to maintain the automatic transmission of your car thereby, incurring lesser cost of maintenance.
1) The first sign of misappropriation of an automatic transmission vehicle is the leaks on the place where you generally park the vehicle. Therefore, always check if there are some oil drops or leak spots at the place where you generally park your vehicle at home. If you find some leaks, rush to the service outlet as further delay many incur higher cost of maintenance.
2) For an automatic transmission vehicle owner, it is suggested to check transmission fluid level regularly. Sometimes the fluid level might go down due to leaks in the transmission.
3) It is advisable to change the transmission fluid after every 10,000 kilometers run before the fluid becomes dark or dirty.
4) Always ensure that you use the transmission fluid as directed in owners manual. Sometimes we change the transmission fluid at regular intervals that in turn consumes more energy to churn torque thereby delivering lesser mileage.
5) Always refrain from changing gear while your car is moving. Also avoid harsh driving and instant braking as it might damage the transmission.
6) A proper shifting pattern of the automatic transmission is one of the integral parts of maintain it. It is advisable not to shift the transmission reverse until and unless the car is not fully stopped. Also ensure that the brake pedal of your vehicle is entirely depressed while shifting the transmission level from reverse to another gear.